[R] Rotating the axis labels in the basic graphic device ?

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Sun Jan 24 01:16:53 CET 2010

On 01/24/2010 03:25 AM, Tal Galili wrote:
> Marc,
> Following the R FAQ you linked to, I wonder how to ALWAYS have the text and
> the plot region fit.
> I know that if the text is too long, one can use the par(mar = c(big.number,
> 4, 4 ,4)) and get the text to fit.
> The question is:
> Is there a way to make the plot "know" what "big.number" should be so the
> text wouldn't go beyond plot regions ?

Hi Tal,
I've been working on this, as it often appears on the help list. The
function getMarginWidth in the plotrix package tries to solve the common
problem of fitting text or legends in the margins of the plot. I would
like to improve this function and perhaps extend it so that the user can
specify an area in which something must fit and get the appropriate
"par" argument to use. All suggestions are welcome.

Jim