[R] problem with the precision of numbers

kayj kjaja27 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 25 17:04:15 CET 2010

Hi All,

thank you all for your help. I have tried Bill's script and it works! so I
am trying to think what was the problem and it looks like it i sthe
precision. so you defined a function of the precision and evaluates at
precision=500. Bill, I was wondering how did you choose 500? is it
arbitrary?

I have looked at the Rmpfr documentation and they defined the mfr object to
be
 Usage
mpfr(x, precBits, base = 10)
Const(name = c("pi", "gamma", "catalan"), prec = 120L)

so is the precision defined in Bill's script the same as precBits?

my bc package works , I have used bc ( from run "raw" and not from R) so is
it possible to use it from R?

thanks again for your help