[R] large integers in R

Benilton Carvalho beniltoncarvalho at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 12:39:29 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
> On 28/01/2010 5:30 AM, Benilton Carvalho wrote:
>>
>> Hi Duncan,
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca>
>> wrote:

>>> Integers in R are 4 byte signed integers, so the upper limit is 2^31-1.
>>>  That's not likely to change soon.
>>
>> But in the hypothetical scenario that this was to change soon and we
>> were to have 64bit integer type (say, when under a 64 bit OS),
>> wouldn't this allow us to have objects whose length exceeded the
>> 2^31-1 limit?
>
> Those are certainly related problems, but you don't need 64 bit integers to
> have longer vectors.  We could switch to indexing by doubles in R (though
> internally the indexing would probably be done in 64 bit ints).
>
> A problem with exposing 64 bit ints in R is that they break the rule that
> doubles can represent any integer exactly.  If x is an integer, x+1 is a
> double, and it would be unfortunate if (x+1) != (x+1L), as will happen with
> values bigger than 2^52.

I see... thanks for the clarification. I'm sure that changes like this
would bring several side effects, but regardless how they're done I
believe they would benefit the whole community.

As an example, with a BioC package I wrote, we can "only" analyze
roughly 2K samples on a given microarray platform (despite the fact
that we have way more than 2K samples). In the meantime, we have to
use other tricks to work around the 2^31-1 limit.

Again, thank you very much,

Benilton Carvalho