[R] Using tcltk or other graphical widgets to view zoo time series objects

Felix Andrews felix at nfrac.org
Thu Jan 28 13:55:27 CET 2010

The playwith package might help, though if I understand the problem
correctly, the help(xyplot.zoo) example is not so relevant. If you
want to switch between many series you could use a spin-button or
somesuch. To execute a function you can create a button.

If you have a hundred-column dataset like
dat <- zoo(matrix(rnorm(100*100),ncol=100), Sys.Date()+1:100)
colnames(dat) <- paste("Series", 1:100)

Then this will give you a spin button to choose the column to plot,
and a button to print out the current series number.

playwith(xyplot(dat[,c(1,i)]),  parameters = list(i = 1:100,
    do_something = function(playState) print(playState$env$i))
)

Note that the playwith package uses RGtk2, and therefore requires the
GTK+ libraries to be installed on your system.

On 28 January 2010 23:16, Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is an example of using zoo together with the playwith package at
> the end of the examples section of help(xyplot.zoo) which may address
> this.
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Research <risk2009 at ath.forthnet.gr> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am looking at the R-help entry below:
>>
>> http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02/archive/26640.html
>>
>> I have a more complicatedt problem. I have a zoo time series frame with 100+
>> sequences.
>>
>> I want to cycle through them back and forth and compare them to the 1st
>> column at any time.
>>
>> I need also a button to click when I need the viewed-selected sequence (that
>> is being compared to the 1st column one) to be manipulated
>> (by some algorithm or be saved individually etc. etc.)...
>>
>> I am trying to modify the code at the above link but somehow I can not make
>> it to work with zoo time series objects.
>>

>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Costas
>>

>> __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature
>> database 4813 (20100128) __________

>> http://www.eset.com

Felix Andrews / 安福立
Postdoctoral Fellow
Integrated Catchment Assessment and Management (iCAM) Centre
Fenner School of Environment and Society [Bldg 48a]
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia
M: +61 410 400 963
T: + 61 2 6125 4670