[R] exporting multidimensional matrix from R

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Jan 28 18:12:43 CET 2010

On Jan 28, 2010, at 10:42 AM, Gopikrishna Deshpande wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a matrix of size 19x512x20 in R.

No, you don't. Matrices are only 2 dimensional in R. You may have an
"array", however.

> I want to export this file into
> another format which can be imported into MATLAB.
> write.xls or write.table exports only one dimension.
> please send a code if possible. I am very new to R and have been
> struggling
> with this.

install.packages(pkgs="R.matlab", dependencies=TRUE)
library(R.matlab)
?writeMat
filename <- "~/test.mat"
writeMat(filename, arr=arr)

 > readMat(filename)
$arr
, , 1

      [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    1    4    7
[2,]    2    5    8
[3,]    3    6    9

, , 2

      [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]   10   13   16
[2,]   11   14   17
[3,]   12   15   18

, , 3

      [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]   19   22   25
[2,]   20   23   26
[3,]   21   24   27

attr(,"header")
attr(,"header")$description
[1] "MATLAB 5.0 MAT-file, Platform: unix, Software: R v2.10.1, Created
on: Thu Jan 28 12:08:25 2010                              "

attr(,"header")$version
[1] "5"

attr(,"header")$endian
[1] "little"