[R] Data frame of different sized lists in a function call

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jan 28 22:03:17 CET 2010

I'm hoping to get some "best practice" feedback for constructing a
function call which takes an undefined set of DIFFERENT length vectors
-- e.g. say we have two lists:

list1=c(1:10)
list2=c(2:4)

lists = data.frame(list1,list2) coerces those two to be the same length
(recycling list2 to fill in the missing rows) -- what is a quick way of
having each of those lists retain their original lengths?  my function
ultimately should look like:

myfunction = function(lists) {

}

I'm hoping this can be done with a single line, so the user doesn't have
to pre-construct the data.frame before running the function, if at all
possible.

Thanks!

--j

--