[R] R on Hard drive memory

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Fri Jan 29 14:44:19 CET 2010

prem_R <mtechprem <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I heard form my friend there is a way to run R in system hard disk space not
> in the RAM .By that we may not run out of memory and have problem attached
> with the same.Someone could help me in this.Thanks.

  Your question is posed extremely vaguely.  It's conceivable
that you will find something useful in the "Large memory and out-of-memory
data" section in the High Performance Computing task view:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/HighPerformanceComputing.html

  If that doesn't help you will have to be much more explicit about
what you are trying to do (how big is your data set, what version of
R, operating system, hardware, etc., what operations are you trying
to run ...)