[R] regression with categorial variables

kayj kjaja27 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 29 17:11:33 CET 2010

Hi All,

I am working on an example where the electric utility is investigating the
effect of size of household and the type of air conditioning on electricity
consumption. I fit a multiple linear regression

Electricity consumption=size of the house hold + air conditioning type

There are 3 air conditioning types so I modeled them as a dummy variable
Type A
Type B
Type C

Where type A is the reference

Below are the results

Electricity consumption= 0.4 size of the household+ 0.95 type B -0.95 type C

But when I look at the mean of the predicted values of electricity
consumption by air conditioning type, this is what I get

Type A  29.86
Type B  25.94
Type C  30.1

I calculated the above means by fitting a linear model as Electricity
consumption=  size of the household,  without including the air conditioning
type. Looked at the predicted valued of the response variable and calculated
the mean of the predicted valued for each category. But you can see that the
mean response for type B is lower than Type A(25.94 for type B and 29.86 for
Type A)

My question is the sign of the Beta’ in the regression model are not
consistent with the means, for type B the beta is positive 0.95.

Is this possible? In what circumstances this can happen?

I appreciate your input.