[R] shared object location

Murat Tasan mmuurr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 23:52:20 CET 2010

The primary reason is for development.
I do install via the traditional R CMD INSTALL (or variant) method,
but I want to keep the C code external from the R package.
In particular, I want to be able to modify the C code (and thus the
compiled .so library functions) without having to constantly re-
install the R package, or constantly copy the shared object library to
the /libs/ subdirectory in the R package directory.

The crux of the matter is that this seems do-able: it basically works
using dyn.load, just not easily with library.dynam, which is what
confuses me.
The vast majority of other UNIX-ish applications will somewhere allow
me to specify a non-standard library location, if needed
In many cases, this is done (in an ad-hoc, and thus unstable manner)
using LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but this doesn't seem to be working for me in
this instance.