[R] Solving an optimization problem: selecting an "optimal" subset

Dimitri Shvorob dimitri.shvorob at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 13:09:45 CET 2010

Thank you very much, Erwin. If I may ask some follow-up questions
1. GAMS <> R, ad it's just not entirely clear how to move the soltion to R.
(At most trivial, how do I "bring in" the subsettable vector into the
solver?")
2. "The quadratic objective can be replaced by a linear one by minimizing
the absolute deviation".
    Minimizing absolute deviation is not, as far as I can see, a linear
problem... ??
    What magic is happening in these lines?
    positive variable d1,d2;
    e3.. d1-d2 =e= s-target;