[R] Calculate area under a curve

suse meyfarth at uni-potsdam.de
Thu Jul 1 16:56:38 CEST 2010

Hi,

I want to know the area under a curve, which is not given as a function, but
as values in a time series. It is  not a smooth curve, but switches often
between positive values and zero (the values describe the moisture in the
soil over a year, one entry is one day). I already tried
area.between.curves, but got only 0 as result. I guess, it doesn't work
because of these multiple changes between 0 and positive values (most of the
time, the values are 0 and in the certain case I tested, the positive values
were only on single days; but for other values positive values last longer)
I hope, someone can help me!

THank you!