[R] Evaluating a string

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 08:05:40 CEST 2010

Hello Jonathan,

You can use eval() and parse(), although there may be better ways of
getting to your end goal (assuming you have not inherited a series of
character strings held in objects that should be run as commands).  At
any rate, this works:

a <- 3
b <- 2
operator <- "-"
statement_string <- paste(a, operator, b, sep="")
eval(parse(text = statement_string))

Best regards,

Josh

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Jonathan Greenberg
<greenberg at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> Rhelpers:
>
> How do I get R to evaluate a string, as if it was an R statement, e.g.:
>
> a=3
> b=2
> operator="-"
> statement_string=paste(a,operator,b,sep="")
>
> --j

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles