[R] Gray level mosaic plot with shading_Friendly

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Wed Jul 7 08:13:07 CEST 2010

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Michael Friendly wrote:

> Michael Kubovy wrote:
>> Suppose we start with
>>
>> data("Titanic")
>> mosaic(Titanic, shade = TRUE)
>>
>> How do I combine the dashed box contours of shading_Friendly to indicate
>> negative residuals, with three levels of gray: dark for abs(Pearson Resid)
>> > 4, lighter for 4 > abs(Pearson Resid) > 2, and lightest for bs(Pearson
>> Resid) < 2 ?
>>

> Do you mean [1] you want to plot positive residuals in color and negative in
> gray scale?
> Or [2] to fold + and - residuals by shading all according to abs(resid), and
> distinguishing + from - by the dashed box outlines?
>
> In fact, I designed this coding scheme so that mosaic plots in color (with my
> blue - white - red scheme) would approximately do exactly what
> you might want under [2], when rendered in B/W, since the fully saturated red
> and blue are close in  darkness in B/W.

And shading_hcl() has been written to do exactly what you want under [2].
While it is hard to come up with colors of different hues in HSV or HLS
space that have the same brightness (aka lightness/luminance) and the same
colorfulness (aka chroma), this is easy in HCL.

> Try
> mosaic(Titanic, gp=shading_Friendly)
> save as a jpg/png and try converting to B/W with an image program and see if
> this is good enough.

mosaic(Titanic, shade = TRUE)

is the same as

mosaic(Titanic, gp = shading_hcl)

which you can then modify to have different line types

mosaic(Titanic, gp = shading_hcl, gp_args = list(lty = 1:2))

If you print that on a grayscale printer you will see the same plot
without any chroma, i.e.,

mosaic(Titanic, gp = shading_hcl, gp_args = list(lty = 1:2, c = 0))

The shading_hcl() function is introduced in Zeileis et al. (2007, JCGS),
see ?shading_hcl, which provides more detailed references to HCL colors
etc.

Best,