[R] Calculate area under a curve

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Wed Jul 7 18:31:34 CEST 2010

The mean values theorem of integration (which I think typifies the differences in thinking between mathematicians and statisticians) says that the integral from a to b is equal to the average value of the curve between a and b times the distance from a to b (b - a).

I would be interested in how similar the areas computed using the other methods suggested compare to just averaging your data and multiplying by the distance.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org