[R] package installation for Windows 7

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 15:58:15 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/07/2010 9:26 AM, David Bickel wrote:
>>
>> Yes, the User into which I logged in before launching RGui is an
>> Administrator. Correct, the problem is not limited to Bioconductor packages.
>>

> On Windows 7, it's not enough to have the user be an administrator, you need
> to run programs specifically with administrative rights.  You do this by
> right clicking on the icon, and choosing "Run as administrator".

Reason for this is that "Program Files" is a protected directory, and
changes can only be done by programs that get administrator rights
(which is not the same as running a program in an administrator
account). Without those administrator rights, R cannot access the
default folder for the packages, as that one is also included in the
Program Files. Also changing the Rprofile.site becomes a hassle, as so
many other tweaks.

Actually, the only programs getting there are Microsoft related
applications. If there's no strict need to place a program there, I
stay away from that folder as far as possible. Vista has the same
problem by the way, and obviously the same solutions.

Cheers
Joris

--
Joris Meys