[R] Not nice behaviour of nlminb (windows 32 bit, version 2.11.1)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 13:32:19 CEST 2010

Ravi Varadhan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The absolute function stopping criterion is not meant for any positive objective function.  It is meant for functions whose minimum is 0.  Here is what David Gay's documentation from PORT says:
>
> "6 - absolute function convergence: |f (x)| <  V(AFCTOL) = V(31). This test is only of interest in
> problems where f (x) = 0 means a ‘‘perfect fit’’, such as nonlinear least-squares problems."

Okay, I've taken a more careful look at the docs, and they do say that
the return code 6 does not necessarily indicate convergence:  "The
desirable return codes are 3, 4, 5, and sometimes 6".  So we shouldn't
by default terminate on it, we should allow users to choose that if they
want faster convergence to perfect fits.

Would changing the default for abs.tol to zero be a reasonable solution?

Duncan Murdoch