[R] do the standard R analysis functions handle spatial "grid" data?

chris howden tall.chriss at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 13 03:59:22 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a resource function analysis with radio collared dingos and GIS
info.

The ecologist I'm working with wants to send me the data in a 'grid
format'...straight out of ARCVIEW GIS.

I want to model the data using a GLM and maybe a LOGISTIC model as well. And
I was planning on using the glm and logistic functions in R.

Now I'm pretty sure that these functions require the data to be in a 2-D
spreadsheet format. And for me to call the responses and predictors as
columns from a data.frame (or 2-D matrix)

However I'm being told they can handle the data in a 'grid' format. So I'm
pretty sure this would mean I would be calling the responses and predictors
as 2-d matrices...and I don't think these functions can do that?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Am I right in thinking these function cannot handle data in a 3-D 'grid'
format and require data to be entered as a 2-d data.frame or matrix?

Are there other special functions out there that can handle this type of
data, and I should be using these instead?

Thanks for your help

Chris Howden
Founding Partner
Tricky Solutions
Tricky Solutions 4 Tricky Problems
Evidence Based Strategic Development, IP development, Data Analysis,
Modelling, and Training
(mobile) 0410 689 945
(fax / office) (+618) 8952 7878
chris at trickysolutions.com.au