[R] export tables to excel files on multiple sheets with titles for each table

eugen pircalabelu eugen_pircalabelu at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 22:21:33 CEST 2010

Hello R-users,
Checking the archives, I recently came across this topic:
"export tables to Excel files"
(http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/export-tables-to-Excel-files-td1565679.html#a1565679),
 and the following interesting references have been proposed:
http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=tips:data-io:ms_windows
http://www.r-bloggers.com/export-data-frames-to-multi-worksheet-excel-file-2/

but my problem is somehow a small extension to what has been discussed, and
although i have a solution, i seek something more elegant. I want to export
multiple dataframes (on multiple sheets), but i also want each of them to have
its own title that is to be written also in Excel. The packages/functions that i
have checked, cannot accommodate a title that is to be written on the sheet,
along with the actual dataframe of interest.

I can do something similar to what i need, but without writing the dataframes on
multiple sheets.

#head(USArrests) and head(iris) written with accompanying title one under each
other

write.excel<-function (tab, ...){
 zz <- file("example.dat", "a+b")
 cat("\"TITLE extra line",file = zz, sep = "\n")
 write.table(tab, file=zz, row.names=F,sep="\t")
 close(zz)}
 write.excel(head(USArrests))
 write.excel(head(iris))

Any suggestion on how to export the same information on two separate sheets, and
keeping also a title for each of them, is highly appreciated, as i have been
searching for some time for a good solution.

Thank you very much and have a great day ahead!

 Eugen Pircalabelu
(0032)471 842 140
(0040)727 839 293