[R] Win Server x64/R: Memory Allocation Problem

will.eagle at gmx.net will.eagle at gmx.net
Wed Jul 14 17:51:17 CEST 2010

Dear all,

how can I use R on a 64-bit Windows Server 2003 machine (24GB RAM) with more than 3GB of working memory and make full use of it.

I started R --max-mem-size=3G since I got the warning that larger values are too large and ignored.

In R I got:
> memory.size(max=FALSE)
[1] 10.5
> memory.size(max=TRUE)
[1] 12.69
> memory.limit()
[1] 3072

but when I run the next command, I get an error:
>climb.expset <- ReadAffy(celfile.path="./Data/Original/CLIMB/CEL/")
Error: cannot allocate vector of size 2.4 Gb

Here is the R version I am using:
platform       i386-pc-mingw32
arch           i386
os             mingw32
system         i386, mingw32
version.string R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31)

What can I do?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Will