[R] ver 2.11.1 from xterm on Mac without lme4

Faisal Moledina faisal.moledina at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 18:14:47 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Andrea Foulkes
<foulkes at schoolph.umass.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed version 2.11.1 on my Mac OS X 10.5.2. When I try running R
> from my xterm, I get the following error:
>
> Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'lme4'
> Fatal error: unable to restore saved data in .RData

It is likely trying to load the file ~/.RData which was saved from a
previous session. An object in that session must require the lme4
package. Delete that file to load a clear R session.

> I am returned to the terminal prompt and can not run R. I can open this
> version of R from the R console and tried installing the lme4 source package
> (per D. Bates' suggestion on 6-July) but get the following error:
>
> trying URL 'http://cran.cict.fr/src/contrib/lme4_0.999375-34.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-tar' length 1028012 bytes (1003 Kb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 1003 Kb
>
> * installing *source* package ‘lme4’ ...
> ** libs
> *** arch - i386
> sh: make: command not found
> ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘lme4’
> * removing
> ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.11/Resources/library/lme4’

You need to install the XCode Tools in order to get gcc installed on
your system, which includes 'make'. This will allow you to install
source packages. For OS X, binary packages are also available for most
packages.

> I do not need to use lme4 (though I would like to) but I do very much prefer
> to work from my xterminal and apparently can not do without lme4. Any
> suggestions appreciated!
>
> Andrea

Faisal