[R] Help with Reshaping from Wide to Long

jlwoodard john.woodard at wayne.edu
Sat Jul 17 17:42:10 CEST 2010

I am trying to reshape data that are in the wide format into the long format.
The design is a repeated-measures design, which combined 3 levels of shape
(circle, square, triangle) with 3 levels of color (Blue, Red, Green), for a
total of 9 variables.  The wide data look like this (sorry I couldn't get
the columns to line up quite right:

   Subject CircleBlue CircleRed CircleGreen SquareBlue SquareRed SquareGreen
TriangleBlue TriangleRed TriangleGreen
1      101         95        100       100         95        100       100
60         80        75
2      102         80         90       100         85         90       100
55         45        45

I would like to convert the data to the following format so that I could do
a repeated measures ANOVA:

Accuracy  Subject       Shape 	Color
95 	     subj101  	Circle 	Blue
80 	     subj102 	Circle 	Blue
100 	     subj101 	Circle 	Red
90 	     subj102 	Circle 	Red
100 	     subj101 	Circle 	Green
100 	     subj102 	Circle 	Green
95 	     subj101  	Square       Blue
85 	     subj102 	Square       Blue
100 	     subj101 	Square       Red
90 	     subj102 	Square       Red
100 	     subj101 	Square       Green
100 	     subj102 	Square       Green
60 	     subj101  	Triangle      Blue
55 	     subj102 	Triangle      Blue
80 	     subj101 	Triangle      Red
45 	     subj102 	Triangle      Red
75 	     subj101 	Triangle      Green
45 	     subj102 	Triangle      Green

I've been able to accomplish the task using the stack command, together with
some fairly lengthy code to reorganize the stacked data frame.  Is it
possible to use the reshape command to accomplish this task in a more
straightforward manner?   Many thanks in advance!

John