[R] loop troubles

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Jul 18 15:38:23 CEST 2010

On Jul 18, 2010, at 9:12 AM, Joe P King wrote:

> I tried that, this is what I tried, but I only get it to do one
> iteration
> and then it wont cycle back. I am not sure how to tell it how to
> look at the
> previous precision to add to the current new sample precision to get
> the new
> precision.

And I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do since I found your
problem statement insufficiently precise, but  ....  if you have a
vector, "p" and an index in a loop is "i", then the "previous p" is
just p[i-1]. Sometimes you can get constructs like the following to
accomplish an indexed assignment:

p[2:length(n)] <-a*p[1:(length(n)-1)]

> This is my first try at a loop so I am not sure if I am doing
> anything right, sorry about the elementary question.
>
> n=c(5,10,15)
> ybar=c(12,13,14)
> sd=c(2,3,4)
> mutotals<-matrix(nrow=length(n), ncol=1)
> mu=1;p0=0
> for (i in 1:length(n)){
>  var = sd[i]^2 #sample variance
>  p = n[i]/var #sample precision

At this point you seem to be using "p" as a constant
>  p0[i]= i

Comments might help to figure out why you are doing each of htese steps.

>  pn = p0[i]+p[i]

Wouldn't "pn" need to be indexed as well? And now you seem to be using
"p" as a vector but haven't extended it with c() or some other
function, so on the second iteration it should fail.

>  mu.out = ((p0[i])/(pn)*mu[i])+((p)/(pn))*ybar[i]
>  sigma[i] = 1/sqrt(pn[i])
>  mutotals[i,]<-mu.out[i]
> }

I get:
Error in sigma[i] = 1/sqrt(pn[i]) : object 'sigma' not found

You are not reporting the error messages this throws (which should
have made it apparent that you needed to do some further setup of the
data structures you are using, not just with "p", "pn", but also
"sigma". )