[R] Indexing by logical vectors

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Tue Jul 20 02:12:00 CEST 2010

As far as I know the answer to your question is "No", but there are things you can do to improve the readability of your code.  One thing I find useful is to avoid using "$" as much as possible and to favour things like with() and within().

The first thing you might do is think about choosing shorter names, of course.  If that's not possible, you could try something like this.

ensureNN <- function(x) {  # "ensure non-negative"
	is.na(x[x < 0]) <- TRUE
}

some.data.frame <- within(some.data.frame, {
  some.long.variable.name <- ensureNN(some.long.variable.name)
  some.other.long.variable.name <- ensureNN(some.other.long.variable.name)
})

Of course if you wanted to do this to all variables in a data frame you could do

some.data.frame <- data.frame(lapply(some.data.frame, ensureNN))

and it all happens, no questions asled.  (I can see a generic function emerging here, perhaps...)

W.