[R] how to force a table to be square?

Liat liats80 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 22 16:00:00 CEST 2010

Hi guys,
I hope you can help me with this.
Here is the problem:
I have some data (myData) that looks similar to this:

     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4]
[1,] "A"  "A"  "B"  "B"
[2,] "B"  "B"  "B"  "B"
[3,] "C"  "C"  "C"  "C"

When I build a contingency table for the first and second row using:
tb <- table(myData[1,  ], myData[2,  ], useNA="ifany")
I get:
  A 2
  B 2
But - I would like to also see "C" there (with a zero).
Actually, I would like to give a list of n characters that would be used to
build an n*n table and the data for this table should then come from myData
(and if there are characters in my list that do not appear in the data at
all I would like to see a zero row or a zero column).
Is that possible to do?
What would be the simplest way?
Many many thanks!!!
Liat.