[R] lme4 on Mac OS X

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Jul 22 19:21:37 CEST 2010

On Jul 22, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Nicholas Griffin wrote:

> I have been trying to get the lme4 package installed on Mac OS X...
> with no
> success.  The Mac OS binary is not available on any CRAN, and I also
> can’t
> install the package from old source.  Has anyone found a solution to
> this
> problem?  I am happy to use nlme for now, but I tend to prefer to do
> my
> mixed model analyses with lmer().

I believe this has been addressed several times recently. The new
settings for RSiteSearch no longer search the r-help listings but you
can use it to get to Baron's repository and then change the parameters:

http://search.r-project.org/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=mac+lme4&max=20&result=normal&sort=score&idxname=Rhelp10

I have fixed my perception of this design deficiency by creating a new
search function in my .Rprofile:

  rhelpSearch <-
function(string,
                   restrict = c("Rhelp10", "Rhelp08", "Rhelp02",
"functions" ),
                   matchesPerPage = 100, ...)
          RSiteSearch(string=string,  restrict = restrict,
matchesPerPage = matchesPerPage, ...)

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT