[R] UseR! 2010 - my impressions

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at Vanderbilt.Edu
Sat Jul 24 15:55:01 CEST 2010

On 07/23/2010 06:50 PM, Ravi Varadhan wrote:
> Dear UseRs!,
>
> Everything about UseR! 2010 was terrific!  I really mean "everything" - the tutorials, invited talks, kaleidoscope sessions, focus sessions, breakfast, snacks, lunch, conference dinner, shuttle services, and the participants. The organization was fabulous.  NIST were gracious hosts, and provided top notch facilities.  The rousing speech by Antonio Possolo, who is the chief of Statistical Engineering Division at NIST, set the tempo for the entire conference.  Excellent invited lectures by Luke Tierney, Frank Harrell, Mark Handcock, Diethelm Wurtz, Uwe Ligges, and Fritz Leisch.  All the sessions that I attended had many interesting ideas and useful contributions.  During the whole time that I was there, I could not help but get the feeling that I am a part of something great.
>
> Before I end, let me add a few words about a special person.  This conference would not have been as great as it was without the tireless efforts of Kate Mullen.  The great thing about Kate is that she did so much without ever hogging the limelight.  Thank you, Kate and thank you NIST!
>
> I cannot wait for UseR!2011!
>
> Best,
> Ravi.

> Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor,
> Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
> School of Medicine
> Johns Hopkins University
>
> Ph. (410) 502-2619
> email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu

I want to echo what Ravi said.  The talks were terrific (thanks to the
program committee and the speakers) and Kate Mullen and her team did an
extraordinary job in putting the conference together and running it.  I
am proud to have been a part of it.  Thank you all!

Frank

--
Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chairman        School of Medicine