[R] Sample size calculation for non-normal population with unknown mean and SD

Majonu mnunez at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jul 26 22:28:18 CEST 2010

Basically, we have a population of 4,392 documents and we want to find out
the number of patents per document. We don’t want to go through all 4,392
documents, but want a reliable sample size from which to draw inferences. I
feel like this count data will not follow a normal distribution, but more
like a Poisson (skewed right.) The problem is we don’t have much similar
data to this data set, so mean and standard deviation are unknown. Is there
any way to derive a sample size based off the confidence interval, margin of
error, and population size for what I assume to be a non-normal population?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.