[R] how to generate a random data from a empirical distribition

xin wei xinwei at stat.psu.edu
Mon Jul 26 20:36:29 CEST 2010

hi, this is more a statistical question than a R question. but I do want to
know how to implement this in R.
I have 10,000 data points. Is there any way to generate a empirical
probablity distribution from it (the problem is that I do not know what
exactly this distribution follows, normal, beta?). My ultimate goal is to
generate addition 20,000 data point from this empirical distribution created
from the existing 10,000 data points.
thank you all in advance.