[R] UseR! 2010 - my impressions

Max Kuhn mxkuhn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 17:32:43 CEST 2010

Not to beat a dead horse...

I've found that I like the useR conferences more than most statistics
conferences. This isn't due to the difference in content, but the
difference in the audience and the environment.

For example, everyone is at useR because of their appreciation of R.
At most other conferences, there is a much wider focus of topics and
less "group cohesion". Given this, I think that the environment is
more congenial. I've had many discussions with people that are in
completely different fields than myself (e.g. imaging, forestry,
physics, etc) that would be less likely to occur at other scientific
meetings.

Another difference between useR and the average (statistics)
conference is the network effect is stronger. I believe that there is
a much higher likelihood that a random person is acquainted with a
different random attendee. This could be because of we've used their
package, they run a local RUG or they are one of the principal people
who drive R (Uwe, Kurt, etc).

Anyway, well done.

Max

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Tal Galili <tal.galili at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Ravi - I echo everything you wrote, useR2010 was an amazing experience
> (for me, and for many others with whom I have spoken about it).
> Many thanks should go to the wonderful people who put their efforts into
> making this conference a reality (and Kate is certainly one of them).
> Thank you for expressing feelings I had using your own words.
>
> Best,
> Tal
>

> ----------------Contact
> Details:-------------------------------------------------------
> Contact me: Tal.Galili at gmail.com |  972-52-7275845
> Read me: www.talgalili.com (Hebrew) | www.biostatistics.co.il (Hebrew) |
> www.r-statistics.com (English)
>

> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Ravi Varadhan <rvaradhan at jhmi.edu> wrote:
>
>> Dear UseRs!,
>>
>> Everything about UseR! 2010 was terrific!  I really mean "everything" - the
>> tutorials, invited talks, kaleidoscope sessions, focus sessions, breakfast,
>> snacks, lunch, conference dinner, shuttle services, and the participants.
>> The organization was fabulous.  NIST were gracious hosts, and provided top
>> notch facilities.  The rousing speech by Antonio Possolo, who is the chief
>> of Statistical Engineering Division at NIST, set the tempo for the entire
>> conference.  Excellent invited lectures by Luke Tierney, Frank Harrell, Mark
>> Handcock, Diethelm Wurtz, Uwe Ligges, and Fritz Leisch.  All the sessions
>> that I attended had many interesting ideas and useful contributions.  During
>> the whole time that I was there, I could not help but get the feeling that I
>> am a part of something great.
>>
>> Before I end, let me add a few words about a special person.  This
>> conference would not have been as great as it was without the tireless
>> efforts of Kate Mullen.  The great thing about Kate is that she did so much
>> without ever hogging the limelight.  Thank you, Kate and thank you NIST!
>>
>> I cannot wait for UseR!2011!
>>
>> Best,
>> Ravi.

>> Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
>> Assistant Professor,
>> Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
>> School of Medicine
>> Johns Hopkins University
>>
>> Ph. (410) 502-2619
>> email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu