[R] Optimization problem with nonlinear constraint

Uli Kleinwechter u.kleinwechter at uni-hohenheim.de
Wed Jul 28 09:31:54 CEST 2010

Dear Ravi,

As I've already written to you, the problem indeed is to find a solution
to the transcendental equation y = x * T^(x-1), given y and T and the
optimization problem below only a workaround.

John C. Nash has been so kind to help me on here. In case anyone faces a
similar problem in the future, the solution looks as follows:

*****

func1 <- function(y,x,T){
     out <- x*T^(x-1)-y
     return(out)
}

# Assign the known values to y and T:
y <-   3
T <- 123

root <- uniroot(func1,c(-10,100),y=y,T=T)
print(root)

********

Somewhat simpler than I thought....

Thanks again!