[R] Using jpeg() without X

Karl-Dieter Crisman kcrisman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 15:23:05 CEST 2010

Something similar happens with png(), I think, if one doesn't compile
against certain X headers (for instance on Mac).   Is there any
resource which describes exactly which graphics devices would work
without *any* special options on any OS?  I've only been able to find
pdf() so far (the second poster said that bitmap() should work with
ghostscript, but let's say one doesn't have that or permission to
install it), but then again I also have a very poor understanding of
how the whole graphics device thing works.

I have to say it seems odd to me that one would need X or Quartz to
create graphics, though I accept that it is; it would be really
helpful to know why this is, though.

Thanks!