[R] [Rd] R CMD build wiped my computer

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jul 28 16:01:56 CEST 2010

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the info on recovery - most of it can pieced together from
backups but a quick, cheap and easy method of recovery would have been
nicer.

My main concern is that this could happen again and that the "bug" is
not limited to R 2.9. I would think that an accidental carriage return
at the end of a file name (even a temporary one) would be a reasonably
common phenomenon (I'm surprised I hadn't done it before).

Cheers,

Jarrod

On 28 Jul 2010, at 14:04, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> Jarrod,
>
> Noting your exchange with Martin, Martin brings up a point that
> certainly I missed, which is that somehow the tilde ('~') character
> got into the chain of events. As Martin noted, on Linuxen/Unixen
> (including OSX), the tilde, when used in the context of file name
> globbing, refers to your home directory. Thus, a command such as:
>
>  ls ~
>
> will list the files in your home directory. Similarly:
>
>  rm ~
>
> will remove the files there as well. If the -rf argument is added,
> then the deletion becomes recursive through that directory tree,
> which appears to be the case here.
>
> I am unclear, as Martin appears to be, as to the steps that caused
> this to happen. That may yet be related in some fashion to Duncan's
> hypothesis.
>
> That being said, the use of the tilde character as a suffix to
> denote that a file is a backup version, is not limited to Fedora or
> Linux, for that matter. It is quite common for many text editors
> (eg. Emacs) to use this. As a result, it is also common for many
> applications to ignore files that have a tilde suffix.
>
> Based upon your follow up posts to the original thread, it would
> seem that you do not have any backups. The default ext3 file system
> that is used on modern Linuxen, by design, makes it a bit more
> difficult to recover deleted files. This is due to the unlinking of
> file metadata at the file system data structure level, as opposed to
> simply marking the file as deleted in the directory structures, as
> happens on Windows.
>
> There is a utility called ext3undel (http://projects.izzysoft.de/trac/ext3undel
> ), which is a wrapper of sorts to other undelete utilities such as
> PhotoRec and foremost. I have not used it/them, so cannot speak from
> personal experience. Thus it would be a good idea to engage in some
> reviews of the documentation and perhaps other online resources
> before proceeding. The other consideration is the Catch-22 of not
> copying anything new to your existing HD, for fear of overwriting
> the lost files with new data. So you would need to consider an
> approach of downloading these utilities via another computer and
> then running them on the computer in question from other media, such
> as a CD/DVD or USB HD.
>
> A more expensive option would be to use a professional data recovery
> service, where you would have to consider the cost of recovery
> versus your lost time. One option would be Kroll OnTrack UK (http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.co.uk/
> ). I happen to live about a quarter mile from their world HQ here in
> a suburb of Minneapolis. I have not used them myself, but others
> that I know have, with good success. Again, this comes at a
> potentially substantial monetary cost.
>
> The key is that if you have any hope to recover the deleted files,
> you not copy anything new onto the hard drive in the mean time.
> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.