[R] newton.method

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Thu Jul 29 21:33:43 CEST 2010

The function newton.method() in the package 'animation' is merely for
demonstration purpose instead of serious computation -- it illustrates
how Newton's method works step by step. But I'm unable to reproduce
your bogus results:

library(animation)
par(pch = 20)
ani.options(nmax = 50, interval = 0.5)
newton.method(f, init = 2, tol = 10 * exp(-8))
# $root
# [1] 7.419378
#
# $value
# [1] 1.211038e-07
#
# $iter
# [1] 17

ani.options(nmax = 50)
newton.method(f, init = -1, rg = c(-4, 12))$root
# about -2.44

ani.options(nmax = 50)
newton.method(f, init = 4, rg = c(-4, 12))$root
# 7.42

Regards,
Yihui
--