[R] Computation of largest eigenvalue

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Fri Jul 30 18:58:04 CEST 2010

There is the arpack() function in "igraph" package for computing leading
eigenvalues, but I am not sure how well it can handle "very" large matrices.

I have coded up an accelerated power method and have used it on dense
matrices of order 5000.  It takes around 9-10 secs for the dominant
eigenvalue and corresponding eigenvector.

How very large is your matrix?

Ravi.