[R] Is profile.mle flexible enough?

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 15:00:31 CEST 2010

Arnaud Le Rouzic <lerouzic <at> legs.cnrs-gif.fr> writes:

> Hi the list,
>
> I am experiencing several issues with profile.mle (and consequently with
> confint.mle) (stat4 version 2.9.2), and I have to spend a lot of time to
> find workarounds to what looks like interface bugs. I would be glad to
> get feedback from experienced users to know if I am really asking too
> much or if there is room for improvement.

  Arnaud,

  You should take a look at the 'bbmle' package (on CRAN).  It deals (sort of)
with your problem #2 by allowing a 'data=' argument (I had a respectful
disagreement with mle's author about whether this was a good idea or not,
so I went off and wrote my own extensions ...)
   If I have a chance I will try to think about problem #1.
   My version (mle2) is, I think, more robust and featureful than
stock mle, but it does need some refactoring ...

  cheers
    Ben Bolker