[R] Fancy Page layout

Dejian Zhao zhaodj at ioz.ac.cn
Wed Jun 2 02:43:43 CEST 2010

      I think you can use grid.layout() to create the appropriate layout,
allocating proper space for the upper plotting area and the bottom text
region, and then use viewport() with the layout parameter to control the
output by pushing the viewport at the proper region on the graphical device.
     Viewport alone can solve your three quesions, but with grid.layout
the layout is better controlled.
     The above-mentioned functions, or grid.layout(), viewport() and
pushViewport(), are in the grid package. Possibly the work can be done
by combining lattice with grid.

On 2010-6-2 1:10, Noah Silverman wrote:
> Thanks Jim,
>
> That helps.
>
> Ben Bolker had a nice suggestion on how to get the lattice package to
> easily plot all 22 variables in one window.
>
> Ultimately, I'd like to generate a PDF that will print on a standard
> (8.5 x 11) page.
>
> A few things I'm still stuck are:
>      1) How to use the lattice command AND leave room at the bottom for a
> text block
>      2) How to tell lattice the size of the window
>      3) How to integrate all this together - draw a big window, plot
> trellis in the top half and then text box in the bottom.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> -N
>

> On 6/1/10 4:53 AM, Jim Lemon wrote:
>
>> On 06/01/2010 04:16 AM, Noah Silverman wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Working on a report that is going to have a large number of graphs and
>>> summaries.  We have 80 "groups" with 20 variables each.
>>>
>>> Ideally, I'd like to produce ONE page for each group.  It would have two
>>> columns of 10 graphs and then the 5 number summary of the variables at
>>> the bottom.
>>> So, perhaps the top 2/3 of the page has the graphs and the bottom third
>>> has 20 rows of data summary(maybe a table of sorts.)
>>> This COULD be done in Latex, but would have to be hand coded for each of
>>> the 80 groups which would be painfully slow.
>>>
>>> I can easily do the graphs with par(mfrow=c(5,2))  band then draw the
>>> graphs in a loop.
>>>
>>> But I am stuck from here:
>>>
>>> 1) How do I control the size of the plot window.  (Ideally, it should
>>> print to fill an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper)