[R] R on the iPhone/iPad? Not so much....a GPL violation

Gustaf Rydevik gustaf.rydevik at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 10:57:15 CEST 2010

> As I noted in my closing comments in my second post, if one has a desire to make R's functionality available on smartphones (iPhone, Android, etc.) or iPad-class devices, then a client/server approach may be the most efficient means to do so. That approach also avails you of more powerful computing platforms than the client side mobile devices have, at least at present, which will also limit aspects of portable functionality.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc

Indeed, the client/server approach is what is used in MatLab Mobile,
which is now on sale in the app store.
See
http://blogs.mathworks.com/desktop/2010/05/24/introducing-matlab-mobile-%E2%80%93-an-iphone-app-to-connect-remotely-to-your-matlab/

If matlab can do it, then surely the R community can as well.

Regards,
Gustaf

--
Gustaf Rydevik, M.Sci.