[R] pdf function, resize xyplot plot automatically

Afshartous, David DAfshartous at med.miami.edu
Wed Jun 2 20:34:03 CEST 2010

All,

When saving plots to a pdf file via the pdf function, I would like to be
able to automatically expand the graphics device to achieve the same result
as when one does this manually (e.g., clicking the green expand button on
the upper left of the graph on Mac OS).   Consider simple example below:

library("lattice")
foo.frm = data.frame(Subject = rep(c(1:4), each = 9), Y = rnorm(36), Time =
rep(c( 0, 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, 150, 210, 270), 4))
xyplot(Y ~ Time | as.factor(Subject), data = foo.frm, scale = list(x =
list(at = c(0, 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, 150, 210, 270))))

The tick marks are very close but this is resolved by expanding the graphics
device as mentioned above.   However, in the code below the file that is
created by the pdf function is created w/o such an adjustment.  I suppose
one could work around this via changing the number of tick marks, but if
there was a way to automatically achieve the expansion of the graph as when
done manually that would be great.  Any tips much appreciated.

pdf(file = "foo.pdf", onefile = T)
xyplot(Y ~ Time | as.factor(Subject), data = foo.frm, scale = list(x =
list(at = c(0, 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, 150, 210, 270))))
dev.off()

Thanks,
David

David Afshartous, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
Division of Clinical Pharmacology
1500 N.W. 12th Avenue, 15th Floor West
Miami, Florida 33136

E-mail: afshar at med.miami.edu