[R] gam error

Jannis bt_jannis at yahoo.de
Thu Jun 3 14:32:09 CEST 2010

How many datapoints do you have? The spline smoothers assume a default of 10 degrees of freedom (i think), so If you have less datapoints than 10 I would guess that you get this error. Same would be true if you have >10 datapoints but many replicates of CoT~incline combinations.

Either reduce the degrees of freedom of the smoother or gather more data ;-).

I would not be too sure about the sense of fitting univariate gams....There should be not too much of a difference to just plotting CoT~incline and fitting some spline to it ( i might be wrong here!)

HTH
Jannis