[R] Shell command help

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Thu Jun 3 18:10:07 CEST 2010

On 03.06.2010 06:40, RICHARD M. HEIBERGER wrote:
>> #Error that is returned from above code…..
>>
>>> 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>> operable program or
>

> This statement means that the Windows CMD processor does not realize that
> 'C:\Program Files' is a single word.  Use the 8.3 version of the filename
> 'C:\progra~1' instead.  Get the correct 8.3 name for your computer from the
> Windows
>     dir /x
> command on the appropriate directory.  Maybe you can use the ENVIRONMENT
> variable  %PROGRAMFILES% directly.  Sometimes you can use explicit quotation
> marks "c:\Program Files\rest of path\yourprogram.exe" to get past this
> issue.

Rich,

actually, 8.3 names are not required if you use the quotes correctly, at
least.

> This problem may be happening inside the program you are calling, not at
> your level.
>
> Uwe, a discussion of %PROGRAMFILES% and 8.3 names needs to be added
> to the Windows FAQ.  I think it belongs in "Section 5 Windows Features"
> because it is
> a standard Windows feature to put software in the "Program Files" directory
> with an
> embedded blank in its name and it is a standard MSDOS feature to trip on
> embedded blanks.

I would not discuss this there for educational purposes: Since correct
quoting is sufficient and does not depend on the OS. Trying to be OS
independent seems to be the better way in R, hence we should avoid 8.3
names / %PROGRAMFILES% that other operating systems are not aware of.

Best wishes,
Uwe