[R] R plotting on linux, regardless of architecture of local machine

Marius 't Hart M.t.Hart at ai.rug.nl
Fri Jun 4 17:56:32 CEST 2010

Hi,

If one wants to see an X GUI from a remote application, there's no other
way than to run an X server locally (the easiest way to do that on
Windows is with Xming IMHO).

So if you don't want an X server locally, you should not use an X GUI. R
can of course also be installed on Windows, including Windows servers,
which may be accessible through Remote Desktop on your network (even
from Linux machines).

You could also try using Rweb (http://www.math.montana.edu/Rweb/) though
that will require running R on a web server of course. And I guess you'd
get some sort of bitmap images, maybe svg.

In my opinion a local X server is the easiest solution, but there are
other options.

Good luck,

Marius.