[R] R plotting on linux, regardless of architecture of local machine

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Jun 4 21:54:41 CEST 2010

On Jun 4, 2010, at 1:53 PM, vaneet wrote:

> I can try having an X server locally, but what are the other options?  Isn't
> there anything that can be installed on Linux to be able to display graph
> windows in R without too much trouble?  As I said I was looking for a
> solution to benefit many users not just me as I can't assume or expect
> everyone logging in to the linux machine to have a local X server running.
>
> Thanks

I think that the goal is noble, but you are asking Windows to emulate functionality specific to Linux/Unix.

Kind of like asking BP to stop an oil leak...

Windows does not natively support X11, which is the default graphic device on Linux. Even on OSX (which is a BSD Unix derivative), X11 is not installed by default, though it is on the OSX installation DVD.

You are going to have to install something on the client machines. At minimum on Windows, you would have to install an SSH client, like PuTTY or similar, to connect to the RHEL server to run R at the CLI. So while somebody is doing that, they can take one more step and add in Xming or perhaps Cygwin/X.

It is either going to be a combination of an SSH client and an X server, or R for Windows itself, if you want local display graphics.

I am not cognizant of other options, but will defer to others with more recent Windows experience.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz