[R] rgl installation failure

Berwin A Turlach berwin at maths.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jun 5 09:37:27 CEST 2010

G'day,

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 12:51:08 +0530
"khush ........" <bioinfo.khush at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to install rgl package under R and getting some errors
> which is below.
>
> > install.packages("rgl")
> Warning in install.packages("rgl") :
>   argument 'lib' is missing: using '/usr/lib/R/library'
> trying URL 'http://cran.csie.ntu.edu.tw/src/contrib/rgl_0.91.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1677498 bytes (1.6 Mb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 1.6 Mb
>
> * installing *source* package _rgl_ ...
> checking for gcc... gcc -m32 -std=gnu99
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking whether gcc -m32 -std=gnu99 accepts -g... yes
> checking for gcc -m32 -std=gnu99 option to accept ISO C89... none
> needed checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -m32 -std=gnu99
> -E checking for gcc... (cached) gcc -m32 -std=gnu99
> checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
> checking whether gcc -m32 -std=gnu99 accepts -g... (cached) yes
> checking for gcc -m32 -std=gnu99 option to accept ISO C89... (cached)
> none needed
> checking for libpng-config... no
> checking libpng... checking for grep that handles long lines and -e...
> /bin/grep
> checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
> checking for ANSI C header files... yes
> checking for sys/types.h... yes
> checking for sys/stat.h... yes
> checking for stdlib.h... yes
> checking for string.h... yes
> checking for memory.h... yes
> checking for strings.h... yes
> checking for inttypes.h... yes
> checking for stdint.h... yes
> checking for unistd.h... yes
> checking png.h usability... no
> checking png.h presence... no
> checking for png.h... no
> checking for png_read_update_info in -lpng... no

You should heed indications as the above, i.e. that items checked for
are not found.

[...]

> In file included from pixmap.cpp:14:
> pngpixmap.h:3:17: error: png.h: No such file or directory

And this compiler error seems to be directly linked to the issues
identified by configure; and all further error come from the fact that
png.h cannot be found.

You seem to be using some flavour of Unix, presumably GNU/Linux; but
from your posting it is impossible to say which one.  On a Debian based
system (e.g. Kubuntu 9.10 which I am using), I would issue the command
(assuming that apt-file is installed and initialised):

berwin at bossiaea:~$ apt-file find include/png.h
libpng12-dev: /usr/include/png.h

and then check whether the libpng12-dev package is installed.  If not,
I would install it and retry.  Perhaps that would be all that is needed
to compile rgl, but there might be other packages missing.

If you have a system based on RedHat and Suse, you will have to figure
out how to use the package management tools on those systems to find
out which packages have to be installed additionally so that you are
able to compile rgl.

HTH.

Cheers,

	Berwin

Berwin A Turlach                      Tel.: +61 (8) 6488 3338 (secr)
School of Maths and Stats (M019)            +61 (8) 6488 3383 (self)
The University of Western Australia   FAX : +61 (8) 6488 1028
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley WA 6009                e-mail: berwin at maths.uwa.edu.au
Australia                        http://www.maths.uwa.edu.au/~berwin