[R] fitting multinomial logistic regression

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Sun Jun 6 22:20:49 CEST 2010

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010, suman dhara wrote:

> Sir, I want to fit a multinomial logistic regression in R.I think
> mlogit() is the function for doing this. mlogit () is in packege
> globaltest.But, I can not install this package. I use the following:

To add to some of the previously given advice:
   - The "globaltest" package provides an mlogit() function that estimates
     a multinomial logit model using (as far as I can see) sum contrasts
     for the coefficients.
   - The "nnet" package provides the function multinom() for the
     multinomial logit model using treatment contrasts for the
     coefficients.
   - The "mlogit" package provides a different function mlogit() that
     provides a wider range of multinomial logit models using not only
     individual-specific variables (as the previous two functions) but
     also alternative-specific variables.

If you have alternative-specific variables, you should probably look at
the "mlogit" package. If not, then I would personally prefer the
multinom() function in "nnet" because it provides a few more extractor
functions and is described in the MASS book by Venables & Ripley.

In addition to that, there are more packages for different flavors of
multinomial models, including the multinom family in the "VGAM" package,
among others...

hth,