[R] paste together a string object later to be utilized in a function

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 02:50:09 CEST 2010

Wild guess, but it looks like you are looking at :

> ts <- list(a=1:5)
> names(ts$a) <- letters[1:5]
> v<-paste("rep(names(ts$a[",1:b,"]),ts$a[",1:b,"])",sep="")
>
> sapply(v,function(x){eval(parse(,text=x))})
$`rep(names(ts$a[1]),ts$a[1])`
[1] "a"

$`rep(names(ts$a[2]),ts$a[2])`
[1] "b" "b"

$`rep(names(ts$a[3]),ts$a[3])`
[1] "c" "c" "c"

$`rep(names(ts$a[4]),ts$a[4])`
[1] "d" "d" "d" "d"

$`rep(names(ts$a[5]),ts$a[5])`
[1] "e" "e" "e" "e" "e"

> assign("test",eval(parse(text=v[3])))
> test
[1] "c" "c" "c"

Cheers
Joris

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 9:51 PM, moleps <moleps2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear r-listers,
>
> I need to pass a string to a function. However the length of the string is dependent on the length of a vector.
>

> b<-length(h)
> v<-paste("rep(names(ts$a[",1:b,"]),ts$a[",1:b,"])",sep="")
>

> Is it possible somehow to pass this as an argument to a function later on ?
>

> Regards,
>
> //M

Ghent University
Faculty of Bioscience Engineering