[R] Wrong symbol rendering in plots (Ubuntu)

Yvonnick Noel yvonnick.noel at uhb.fr
Mon Jun 7 14:20:11 CEST 2010

Hello Ben,
> Does the workaround pointed out later in the thread you're
> responding to (from the last paragraph of a very long 'Note'
> section of ?pdf) help?
Well, I did not try to edit my fonts.conf but I feel this is not a PDF 
issue. I have no problem to have greek letters correctly rendered in 
Ubuntu 10.04 (with LaTeX, or OpenOffice Math for instance with a PDF 
export). This only appears in R plots.

Note that other symbols do not render well too. I put a PDF output of 
demo(plotmath) here:


Thank you.


 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)

  [1] LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.utf8       LC_NUMERIC=C
  [3] LC_TIME=fr_FR.utf8        LC_COLLATE=fr_FR.utf8
  [5] LC_MONETARY=C             LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR.utf8
  [7] LC_PAPER=fr_FR.utf8       LC_NAME=C
  [9] LC_ADDRESS=C              LC_TELEPHONE=C

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base

More information about the R-help mailing list