[R] Wrong symbol rendering in plots (Ubuntu)

Yvonnick Noel yvonnick.noel at uhb.fr
Mon Jun 7 14:20:11 CEST 2010

Hello Ben,
> Does the workaround pointed out later in the thread you're
> responding to (from the last paragraph of a very long 'Note'
> section of ?pdf) help?

Well, I did not try to edit my fonts.conf but I feel this is not a PDF
issue. I have no problem to have greek letters correctly rendered in
Ubuntu 10.04 (with LaTeX, or OpenOffice Math for instance with a PDF
export). This only appears in R plots.

Note that other symbols do not render well too. I put a PDF output of
demo(plotmath) here:

http://yvonnick.noel.free.fr/wrongsymbolsinubuntu.pdf

Thank you.

Yvonnick

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)
i486-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
  [1] LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.utf8       LC_NUMERIC=C
  [3] LC_TIME=fr_FR.utf8        LC_COLLATE=fr_FR.utf8
  [5] LC_MONETARY=C             LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR.utf8
  [7] LC_PAPER=fr_FR.utf8       LC_NAME=C
  [9] LC_ADDRESS=C              LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=fr_FR.utf8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages: