[R] classification algorithms with distance matrix

sidahmed BENABDERRAHMANE sidahmed.benabderrahmane at loria.fr
Mon Jun 7 18:05:59 CEST 2010

Dear all,

I have a problem when using some classification functions (Kmeans, PAM,
FANNY...)  with a distance matrix, and i would to understand how it
proceeds for the positioning of centroids after one execution step.

In fact, in the classical formulation of the algorithm, after each step,
to re-position the center, it calculates the distance between any
elements of the old cluster and its center, or in my case I used  a
distance matrix , so I do not understand how the algorithm can
recalculates the distance between the newly generated center and other
elements of the cluster knowing that the new center does not appear in
the distance matrix and there is no way to calculate the distance
between him and the elements of a cluster. ?

Thank you for your help.

Sid., LORIA
France.