[R] comparing two regression models with different dependent variable

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 18:22:55 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Or Duek <orduek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to compare to regression models - each model has a different
> dependent variable.
> The first model uses a number that represents the learning curve for reward.
> The second model uses a number that represents the learning curve from
> punishment stimuli.
> The first model is significant and the second isn't.
> I want to compare those two models and show that they are significantly
> different.

They are different, forget about significance.

> How can I do that?

You don't. Your problem translates to whether reward or punishment
gives a better learning curve, so you build a model using a factor
that represents whether the learning curve comes from reward or
punishment, and test the significance of the difference using the
correct approach in the framework of your choice. And since curves are
functions, you actually need a method for functional data analysis.

Either you start eg here : http://www.psych.mcgill.ca/misc/fda/ or you
take the advice of Bert. If I was you, I'd go for the latter.

> Thank you.

You're welcome.
Cheers
Joris