[R] Position of Axis Labels (Base Graphics)

Singmann Henrik at singmann.org
Thu Jun 10 11:02:05 CEST 2010

Hi,

I wonder if there is a way to selectively manipulate the position of the
axis labels (i.e., the numbers). As far as I get it from ?par the only way
to manipulate it is via mgp = c(x,y,z), where z is the relevant number.
However, this manipulates the position of the axis labels for both the x-
and y-axis.

The reason I want to do this is that I have the impression that when using
the standard values, the x-axis labels are somewhat further from the axis
ticks than the y-axis labels. To make both more similar I would like to
position the x-axis labels a little bit nearer to the axis.

I know I can work around this problem by suppressing one axis (yaxt="n") and
then adding it afterwards via axis(side=2,...). But I wonder if one cannot
do this in a better way (hey, it is R).

Here is a plot where you should see the problem with the different distance
of the labels from the axis ticks:

plot(50,50,xlab="", ylab="", xlim=c(30,100), ylim=c(30,100), cex.axis=0.8)

Thanks,

Henrik Singmann