[R] Capturing buffered output from Rterm

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 14:42:11 CEST 2010

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, Keith Jewell wrote:

> In MS Windows I
>  a) invoke Rterm from a batch file (test.bat)
>  b) to execute commands from a script (m:\test.rsc)
>  c) capturing output in a log file (m:\test.log)
>
> BUT if the script results in an error the error message is NOT written to
> the log file, leaving me problems when the error is from a complicated
> function.

Sure, warning and errors are written to stderr, which you did not
redirect.  This is covered in rw-FAQ Q2.12.  Using R CMD BATCH would
have done this for you ....

This is not to do with 'buffered output': in any case R uses minimal
buffering so stdout and stderr can be mixed nicely on a single log
file.